1.07.2010

Happy New Year!

Music. A New Year's resolution? Not that I'm learning to play an instrument or anything, but I DO listen to lots of different things when I paint. Time to share :) Santa delivered two new CDs to our house this Christmas, and I can think of no better way to usher in the new decade!

Especially appropriate for the traditional New Year's saluations is Billy Kelly's "Thank You for Joining the Happy Club." This is some rockin' good kid's music! Curiously odd at times, but in all of the very best ways. Part They Might be Giants, part Brady Rymer. A great voice, and with rythmns and lyrics that are choice for kids and parents alike. I'm especially fond of "Don't Worry about the Government."

Also pretty cool is the fact that Billy was the assistant art director on my first book! He moved from Winslow Press to Little Brown, and eventually started his own design company. He's an aspiring book illustrator as well and does all of his album art in addition to a bunch of other stuff. A Renaissance Man and to be sure!

On the "world music" scene, as I attempt to categorize this next selection, is Luc and the Lovington's "Feel the Warmth." Lush and layered, with playful guitar and choral harmonies, is also an impressive debut. Even better, Luc is originally from Twisp, WA. His younger brother is a talented sax player in his own right, and known by many 'round these part as "Super Babysitter, David."

Both of these excellent debut cds will get your new year started with a smile. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Paige Keiser said...

Happy New Year Erik! I just want to say that you are one of my absolute favorite illustrators out there. Your work truly is gorgeous and inspiring.

Erik Brooks said...

Very sweet of you to say Paige :) I need all the inspiration that I can get right now - trying to crank out the last 2/3rds of a picturebook in the next 2 weeks!