10.19.2009

Recommended Reading: Rabitt Hill by Robert Lawson

I don't think I've done a book recommendation before, but reading Rabbit Hill might make this a semi-regular feature. We recently finished this really cool 1944 edition (on lone from my father-in-law) and it was great.

In some recess of my brain, I can recall reading this book as a kid. I know for certain that I would have loved the artwork, but reading it out-loud over the last few weeks of bedtime routine, I am now firmly impressed with the entire package. The cast of characters, the dialog, the emotional swings of the story... It's an excellent read-aloud. Like so many good books, there are real moments of danger, joy, sadness, and elation at play here. When reading aloud, those feelings bubble so naturally into the author's chosen words that you can't help but "act " a bit as you read along.

Plus, the art work is still awesome! Check it out. Hop to it. Etc.!

No comments: